Tuesday, May 21, 2024
HomeLincoln NewsLincoln Go-Kart Track Remains Closed during Carbon Monoxide Probe

Lincoln Go-Kart Track Remains Closed during Carbon Monoxide Probe

Published on

Lincoln go-kart track must remain shut during carbon monoxide probe

Investigations continue to find out why the incident happened. Until the investigation is complated, the Lincoln race track will continue to stay close.

A go-karting track in Lincoln has been ordered to remain closed as health officials investigate a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning incident.

The incident occurred during a “super pole” team racing event, where 56 adults and children fell ill and were subsequently admitted to hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

In response to this serious incident, Lincoln City Council issued a prohibition notice to Gridline Racing, the operator of the go-karting track, preventing them from reopening until the investigation is complete.

The go-karting event took a frightening turn when people began experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Adam Colbourne, who was at the centre with his son Henry, described the escalating situation, saying, “Everyone was feeling a bit sick and then Henry came upstairs after his last session and said he felt dizzy.”

The severity of the situation quickly became apparent when Henry collapsed, prompting a rush of people trying to provide him with immediate medical assistance. The incident left both Adam Colbourne and his son hospitalized, although they have since been discharged.

Following the incident, the authorities initiated an investigation to determine the cause of the carbon monoxide poisoning. The investigation involves several organizations, including Lincoln City Council, Lincolnshire Police, and public health officials.

Lincoln Race track incident
Adam Colbourne was treated in hospital after falling ill at the go-karting track

Simon Walters, the council’s strategic director of communities and environment, confirmed the commencement of the investigation and explained the purpose of the prohibition notice served to Gridline Racing.

He said, “Our investigation into Tuesday’s incident has now commenced. As part of this, earlier this afternoon we served a prohibition notice on the business. This prevents them from operating while the investigation takes place.”

Gridline Racing, the operator of the go-karting track, expressed deep regret and apologized to all those affected by the incident.

In a statement, the company acknowledged its cooperation with the ongoing investigation and its collaboration with the authorities.

The statement read, “We are extremely sorry to all those affected. All of us at Gridline are incredibly upset by the news and would like to assure you all that we will update again once we understand the situation and the investigation is complete.”

The investigation is looking for evidence to find the cause of the carbon monoxide poisoning. It has been revealed that one patient remains hospitalized

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a life-threatening condition caused by the inhalation of carbon monoxide gas. This odourless, colourless gas can be produced by faulty fuel-burning appliances, such as gas stoves, boilers, and car engines.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can vary but commonly include headaches, dizziness, nausea, confusion, and shortness of breath. Prolonged exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide can lead to unconsciousness, organ damage, and even death. It is essential to recognize the warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning and take immediate action if suspected.

The incident at the go-karting track highlights the critical importance of implementing effective carbon monoxide safety measures. Businesses and individuals must prioritize the regular maintenance and inspection of fuel-burning appliances to ensure they are functioning correctly and not emitting dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

Installing carbon monoxide detectors in homes, workplaces, and recreational facilities can provide an early warning system in the event of a carbon monoxide leak. These detectors should be regularly tested, and batteries replaced to ensure their reliability.

The NHS Lincolnshire Integrated Care Board said on Thursday that one patient remained in hospital.

In a statement, Gridline said: “We are extremely sorry to all those affected. All of us at Gridline are incredibly upset by the news and would like to assure you all that we will update again once we understand the situation and the investigation is complete.

“As this is an ongoing incident and a full investigation is ongoing, where we continue to work with Lincolnshire Police and other relevant organisations, we are unable to comment further at this time.”

Latest articles
Articles You May Like