14.6 C
Thursday, June 20, 2024
Top 5 This Week
Related Posts

Dad Died Of Cancer After Being Let Down By His Local GP

- Advertisement -

Loving Dad Dies After Urgent Phone Call Orders Him to Go to Hospital Immediately

How many more people have to die due to the lack of GPs and appointments. A dad loved by all was told there were no appointments available to see his GP for six weeks.


The tragic story of Kevin Gillett from Liverpool has left his family and friends devastated. Kevin, a “fun, loving” dad, passed away just weeks after receiving a phone call instructing him to go straight to the hospital.

- Advertisement -

Kevin Gillet believed his symptoms were related to his diagnosed Crohn’s disease, but doctors discovered something far more sinister—a tumour that had spread to his lymph nodes.

In April, Kevin Gillett began feeling increasingly unwell. Concerned about his symptoms, he feared they were connected to his Crohn’s disease. However, when he contacted his local GP, he was told there were no available appointments for six weeks. As the weeks went by, Kevin’s condition worsened, to the point where he couldn’t keep food down.

Finally, after waiting for six long weeks, Kevin was able to secure an appointment. However, just days after his visit, he received a life-changing phone call. A nurse informed him that he needed to go straight to the hospital, where doctors would be waiting for him. Little did Kevin know that this call would mark the beginning of a devastating journey. The scans revealed a tumour on his liver, which had attached itself to a vein.

At the Royal Liverpool Hospital, Kevin underwent a biopsy, and the results were heartbreaking. The cancer had not only spread to his blood but also to his lungs and lymph nodes. Odette de Freitas, Kevin’s mother, expressed her anguish, stating that the news confirmed her worst fears.

Initially, Kevin was told that he may have four months left to live. However, his condition deteriorated rapidly, and he tragically passed away at Whiston Hospital just six weeks after his diagnosis. Kevin’s final moments were spent surrounded by his loving family on August 1.

Kevin Gillett was a remarkable individual who touched the lives of many. Before his passing, he expressed his wishes for his funeral service, which included a rendition of Everton’s anthem, Z-Cars, and The Killers’ cover of Forever Young. Kevin’s mother, Odette, described him as “determined” despite his health issues.

Kevin’s was born in London, he moved to Liverpool at the age of 20. He worked as an account manager at Baa Bar and later joined the NHS. At the age of 25, Kevin was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, which had a significant impact on his life. Despite this, Kevin remained dedicated to his seven-year-old son, who he considered his “absolute world.”

In his efforts to help his son grow in confidence and make new friends, Kevin established the Huyton under-7s football team. In honour of Kevin, the team has decided to change its name to Sporting KG—a touching tribute to a man who made a difference in their lives.

Kevin Gillett
Image Kevin Gillett

Family friends have since set up GoFundMe page has been set up by neighbours Lauren and Laura to raise money for Kevin’s funeral and cover the cost of a memorial where his seven-year-old son who Odette said was his “absolute world” can go to remember him.

Kevin’s family are requesting donations to be made to the football team, and any remaining funds from the fundraising page will be contributed to this cause.

His mum Odette de Freitas Said: “He’d been feeling quite unwell since having Covid after Christmas but by the end of April, May, he was finding he couldn’t eat at all and was vomiting. Six weeks he was trying to get an appointment.

“I feel like he’s been badly let down by the whole system. I couldn’t knock the nurses at the Royal or Whiston they are amazing. But it’s the whole system – they’re not seeing people and doing tests before it gets to that stage.

“The staff are trying their best. It’s the whole process. I don’t know why they’re not getting face to face appointments. I know there’s a backlog after Covid. We just feel that when somebody has a chronic condition anyway that they would monitor it more closely and not do a telephone appointment.”

Popular Articles