A typical person has between 50,000 and 70,000 thoughts per day, this is approximately 35 – 48 thoughts per minute. As many as 98% of these thoughts are exactly the same as the day before and it is believed that 80% of these thoughts are negative.
Negative self-talk is a powerful and constant running commentary in our mind. While we go about our daily lives, we are always thinking about what we are going to do and about the situations we are in. We have this internal voice that is there in the background perceiving every situation. If that little voice is providing us with positive thoughts and encouraging us, then that is great. But what happens when we have that same little voice which is constantly negative?
Having a negative voice in our minds is like having a friend who is always doubting you and your ability. If you have someone always telling you that you cannot do this, or you will not be successful at that, you are going to start to believe them. If your friend shows you no encouragement then you are not going to achieve the goals you want to achieve or go for that job you really want. That negative friend is the same as self-negative talk.
It is not something we talk about much, but according to Shanesha Scott, a Master Mindset Life Coach who helps people overcome Negative Self-Talk; we should do. According to Shanesha Scott that little negative voice can have toxic effect on our life.
In life you have successful people and then you have those people who are not successful. You also have people who have brilliant ideas but fail to progress them and make them a reality. Those people who are successful have managed to overcome their negative self-talk and remove the obstacles in their life, and those who fail are struggling on a daily basis.
Self-negative talk can be overcome. Those annoying negative thoughts can be sent packing with the right help. One of the those people who helps people to become more successful in their life and remove those annoying obstacles is Shanesha Scott, so I wanted to catch up with her and find out how the Master Mindset Life Coach can help people remove those obstacles from their life.
Here is what Shanesha Scott had to say
- First of all, can you please introduce yourself? Greetings! My name is Shanesha Scott. I am the owner of Beauty 4RM Ashes, LLC. I am a Master Mindset Life Coach.
- You are a licensed Master Mindset Life Coach; can you explain what that means? As a Master Mindset Coach, I focus on my client’s eliminating negative self-talk using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques (CBT). I also focus on shifting my client’s root beliefs using Rational Emotive Behavioural Techniques (REBT). The end goal for me is for my clients to come out seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty.
- So, as a Life Coach what areas to you specialize in? My main speciality is Master Mindset; However, I am certified in multiple areas including Emotional Intelligence, Confidence, Cognitive Behavioural, Goal Success, Life Purpose, and Happiness.
- You are the founder of Beauty 4RM Ashes, why did you decide to start your own business? Prior to Beauty 4RM Ashes, I was a Makeup Artist for 10 years with my company Beauty By SMAQ. In 2017, I tragically loss my Nephew and did not have the passion to do makeup anymore. My soul had a different calling. I wanted to help people. That’s when I created Beauty 4RM Ashes. I went to get my certification as a Life Coach in 2020. This is my soul’s purpose.
- There are some people in life that sail through life and achieve all the dreams they want to achieve, and then there are people who struggle on a daily basis and fail at every hurdle, why is that? I think there are multiple factors. For some they can already have a head start. What I mean by that is they come from a supportive family, financially stable, etc. Now, with that being said, any person can overcome adversity. I am a living example. I did not have the best childhood or even early adulthood, but I didn’t let that stop me from accomplishing my dreams and goals. It is all in us- we just have to have the ‘can do’ attitude. Even if there are obstacles. This question is kind of explaining what a Master Mindset Coach does. It’s about eliminating the negative thought process. We can do anything we put our mind to…good or bad.
- Can you explain what is meant by negative self-talk and how that can impact a person? A person that may have negative self-talk has the mindset that the thing they want to accomplish or do will not happen. People aren’t born like that. I believe it’s the environment they have been around. Unfortunately, many people often fall victim to toxic relationships which can ultimately lead to that defeated mentality. Example if a child brings home a report card with All A’s and maybe one B and the parents scold them and say they will never be smart enough to bring home all As- that child will start thinking that they are not good enough or smart enough.
- I have to be honest, before I met you, I did not even think about negative thoughts and how it does impact people’s lives. However, after reading a report I found that we have around 70,000 thoughts a day and 80% of them are negative thoughts, to be honest that does not sound good. To be it seems like a lot of obstacles to try and overcome, can you help with that? Wow- those statistics are alarming. I think that we are all human and will experience all emotions, however when negativity consumes a person that’s where I will be able to assist. I want people to live their best life. Yes, there will be times where there will be trials and tribulations, but ideally, I want people to ‘be happy’ and content 80% of the time.
- When a person is knocked down time and time again for a promotion or even a job interview, the negative thoughts start to rear their ugly heads resulting in negative self-talk, how can a person combat that? I have been that person. Where I felt I deserved the promotion but got looked over time and time again. Yes, I was disappointed, however the thing I always tell myself is what’s for me I will have. Fast-forward years later I got an even better promotion. Things will happen in due time, try to remain positive.
- So, positive self-talk can have a real impact and allow a person to overcome obstacles in their life and achieve their goals? Yes- I believe positive self-talk really can change one’s outlook on life and even manifest a person dreams and desires. Again- that does not mean everyday will be perfect but rewiring what you say will have a positive impact.
- 85% of people in the world have low esteem, are you shocked at that figure? I am not shocked- especially with social media. everyone is comparing themselves to each other instead of focusing on their own life. People have to realize social media is a façade. People can create the personality they want online, and when they log off it is totally different. As the rapper J. Cole says, “No such thing as a life that’s better than yours.”
- Is it true to say, if a person suffers from negative self-talk and they have a job interview then the chances of success is low? In my opinion yes. If a person’s energy is off, I think that will display in the interview. Now with that being said I know everyone has different personality types. Some people are bubbly and cheerful all the time, some are laid back, and some are somewhere in-between. I recognize that, but again think of the glass as half full.
- So, basically, if a person knows they have a problem with negative thoughts and they have an important job interview lined up, it stands to reason they should come and seek your help? Yes! If they have a big job that they are going for and they are ready for a change I recommend them seeking out my assistance. I offer a free 30-minute consultation. Even in that 30 minutes I may be able to jump start them to a positive mindset.
- Would you say, low esteem could be the reason why so many women hook up and marry the wrong man and end up in an abusive relationship? I think that plays a huge part in it. Or if it’s not low self-esteem it can again be the environment, they were brought up in. That may be all they know.
- What type of people come to you and use your services? The everyday person that is looking for a positive change in their lives. As a Life Coach, we will focus on moving forward and not so much the past. I like to say keep it moving forward.
- When a client comes to you looking for help to overcome obstacles in their life and overcome their negative self-talk, what is your first approach? I first like to get to know them on a high-level basis. So, I will have them fill out a questionnaire. That is the starting point. We unpack the questionnaire in the 30- minute consultation. Usually after the 30-minute consultation I can see what direction we need to go. Again, overall, this will be about changing the client’s mindset.
- What does success mean to you? I feel that I am successful when I can look at my vision board or journal and mark off each one as completed. I would also like to add that even if I don’t actually accomplish it, I have peace in knowing that I tried.
For more information, please visit https://www.beauty4rmashes.org