Following the discovery of human remains, and a ‘major incident’ subsequently declared back on 25 July, the police force has issued a statement naming four Vietnamese nationals – Cuong Van Chu, Uoc Van Nguyen, Duong Van Nguyen, and Nam Thanh Le – who were all were reported missing to GMP on Thursday 21 July.
Images of each of the four men have also been released by GMP.
39-year-old Cuong was said to have arrived in the UK in June 2019, and maintained regular contact with his wife and children, but they have not heard from him since Saturday 7 May 2022, while Uoc (31) also maintained regular contact with his wife, but she too has not heard from him since the same date – at which time, he said he was in a mill.
GMP also revealed that 29-year-old Duong arrived in the UK approximately 12 months ago, and last contacted his family around three months ago, at which time he told them he was living in “an abandoned house” whilst looking for work.
In a similar situation, Nam (21) arrived in the UK in January 2022, and last contacted his family on Wednesday 4 May 2022 to tell them he was residing in “a derelict house” in “Dam” – believed to be Oldham – whilst looking for work.
The images released by police of Cuong Van Chu, Uoc Van Nguyen, Duong Van Nguyen, and Nam Thanh Le / Credit: GMP
The names of the missing men have been released after GMP confirmed in a statement last month, that on Saturday 23 July 2022, human remains were discovered by demolition workers at Bismark House Mill, on Bower Street in Oldham.
Since the discovery of the remains, detectives from GMP’s Oldham district and major incident team have confirmed that, on Saturday 7 May 2022, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) attended a fire at the premises – which was extinguished over four days – but at this time, it was not believed that anyone was inside the mill.
Specialists have since confirmed the recovery of remains of three victims, although they have not yet been formally identified.
The fire captured blazing through Bismark House Mill on Saturday 7 May 2022 / Credit: GMFRS
“We are continuing to search Bismark House Mill to ensure the recovery of all human remains and any objects of significance. Meanwhile, the investigation team is following several lines of enquiry relating to the fire and activities at the mill beforehand,” explained Detective Superintendent Lewis Hughes.
“Though we have reason to suspect that Cuong, Uoc, Duong and Nam may have been in the mill during the fire, we are keeping an open mind with regards to how many people were present and their whereabouts.
“I therefore appeal to them or anyone with information about their whereabouts before or after the fire to contact us, and I stress that their safety and welfare is our number one priority.
“We also continue to appeal for information about the fire or activities at the mill beforehand.”
Anyone with information should submit it via the Major Incident Public Portal here, or call should make contact via 0161 856 0055 quoting Operation Logan.
Information can also be shared anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image – GMP
The post Police name four men believed to have been in Oldham mill fire after human remains found appeared first on The Manc.
Read MoreThe Manc – Latest News from Greater Manchester