Duck Au Vin
Gressingham Duck’s version of the French classic coq au vin.
Serves: 4 Prepare: 10 minutes Cook: 1 hour, 30 minutes
4 duck legs
2 tbsps plain flour
1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
2 carrots, peeled and diced into 1cm cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
Bottle of red wine
4 bay leaves
100g smoked bacon lardons
200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- Heat a casserole pan with a little oil. Toss the duck legs in the flour and fry on either side in the pan until golden brown, then remove.
- Add the butter to the casserole pan with the onion, garlic, carrots, bacon and mushrooms and gently fry for 3-4 minutes whilst scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to remove any crusty bits from the duck legs.
- Add the red wine, herbs and duck legs, bring the liquid to the boil and then season with salt and pepper.
- Place a lid on the casserole and then place in the oven at 180°C for 1 hour, 20 mins.
- Remove from the oven, skim off any excess fat and serve with creamy mash and greens.